Recognition for South Texas Health System Heart
South Texas Health System Heart has been recognized for excellence in care by government agencies, accrediting bodies, medical associations and independent surveys.
Patient Safety Excellence Award
- Received the Patient Safety Excellence Award from Healthgrades (2019-2021). In addition, the hospital ranks among the top 10% of hospitals in the nation for patient safety (2019-2021).
Bariatric Weight Loss
Designated as a fully accredited Bariatric Center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) and also received the:
- Aetna Institute of Quality for Bariatric Surgery
- Blue Cross® Blue Shield® Blue Distinction Plus for Bariatric Surgery
- OptumHealth Bariatric Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery
- Received Chest Pain Center with PCI Accreditation from the American College of Cardiology.
Recognized by Healthgrades for cardiac services year after year:
- Coronary Intervention Excellence Award (2020-2022)
- Coronary Bypass Surgery Five-Star Recipient (2017-2022)
- Treatment of Heart Failure Five-Star Recipient (2019-2022)
Emergency and Trauma Care
- Designated as a Level IV Trauma Center by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- The South Texas Health System Neurosciences & Stroke Institute has received the American Heart Association®/American Stroke Association®’s Get With The Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus with Honor Roll Elite Plus, Advanced Therapy and Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll Quality Achievement Award 2022.
- Designated as a Primary (Level II) Stroke Facility by the state and certified as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission.
- South Texas Health System’s six Freestanding Emergency Departments have each earned an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital certification by The Joint Commission.
Last updated 12/2022